WHAT IS THE DOWNTOWN MASTER PLAN?
Kingsport community leaders have established a goal for the City to attract and retain businesses, visitors, residents, and developers. In order to meet that goal, we must focus on improvement of our downtown. This project builds upon and brings together former planning efforts to create a master plan that creates a unified vision for the development and redevelopment of Kingsport’s downtown. The plan will include components of traditional downtown master plans with a heavy emphasis on:
- Public improvements and streetscape upgrades.
- Demonstrate a path forward for the existing downtown Academic Village, analyzing student demand for expansion and amenities and recommending appropriate size and locations for these student centered needs.
- Create a vision to reinforce and magnify Kingsport’s downtown role as the economic and cultural heart of the community. As part of an ongoing community initiative known as OneKingsport (https://onekingsport.com)
- The process will build consensus among different groups including, but not limited to, property owners, business owners, public agencies, City advisory groups, Chamber of Commerce, local students, educational institutions, and residents.
- The Downtown Kingsport Master Plan will become an official policy document of the city. The plan will facilitate the direction, type, location, and scale of new development and associated downtown improvements for the next ten years.